Thursday 10 August 2017

Getting Published with Storytime Magazine




Getting a story published is an extremely exciting experience, as many writers would probably agree. But it can take a very long time, especially for a novel.

My story is short but contains all the information it needs as well as extra detail. My story was not like it is now when I first wrote it, in fact, many things changed, all because of the editing process. Editing your book is the most important thing and once you have done edits yourself, your editor: the person that is trying to help you publish your story, will come up with more things to help you improve it. My editor, Maxine, was really helpful and pointed out mistakes I had made. This can seem a bit cruel or disheartening, but Maxine was really kind and she improved my story for the better. The editing process can take up to years for many books, and for myself, it took a few months, as it is a shorter story.

Next, getting published. The best part for me! You will have had a deadline for your editing to be completed, as a couple of months after will be the time your story will be open to the public. With my story, I had to wait for 2-3 months and then my story was published in the May 2017 edition of Storytime, which is subscription based children's magazine, but you can buy back copies by visiting there website. 



Although this may seem slightly complicated, I first wrote my story for the 500 words competition. I happily got down into the last 2,000 of the 90,000 entries of that year, and when I didn’t get through any further, I thought that if I can get down to the last 2,000 in the 500 words competition, I am going to try to get published, and that’s what I did!


When my story came out, I was so excited to see it in print with the beautiful illustrations by the Brazilian artist, Junior Caramez. I loved sharing the story with my friends and family and also with children at local primary schools and my local library events, which I hope you will come back to read more on in my next blog!!




No comments:

Post a Comment