Tuesday 19 September 2017

Doing my First Library and School Visits As a Writer


Once my story was published by Storytime, I was asked to do a visit to my local Library in Beaconsfield and do two school talks, where I would explain the process of being published and read my story.

The Library, at Beaconsfield, was extremely fun, young children came with their parents and I read them my story with a group of cuddly animals as props. When I had finished reading my story, I took some questions, (mainly from the adults), and then I went on to do crafts with the young children!


The school events were a bit longer and had a lot more children of different ages. In the first school, Hughenden Primary, I went to every class for twenty minutes, but before I did this my story was read out by my Aunt (who is also the foundation class teacher), to the whole school in assembly, with a PowerPoint of the magazine running so everyone could see the amazing illustrations. The younger years were really enthusiastic, and in foundation we did crafts and activities, like at the Library! Also at the Foundation I challenged them to name the Leopard from my story, they chose a name and I presented them with a naming certificate, which they all liked. From years 1, 2 and 3, I took questions and opinions, which were all really interesting and unique. The last three classes were slightly more complex, as they were older. Year 5 even interviewed me!





At the other school, Curzon C of E Primary School, also my Primary School, I did classes 2 and 5. Much like Hughenden, the younger class was very enthusiastic and enjoyed the teddies as well as the story (which I read to them). Class 5 questioned me after being read the story, they questions were very interesting and I had to take a while to think about some of them.


I loved doing these events and would happily do it again, if I was given the chance!!!
Some of the Thank You cards from the children. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like everyone had a great time at your author visit. Well done on sharing your work and inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everybody enjoyed it, I certainly did!

      Delete